Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Who's Laughing Now?


Finally, I’ve found a quick minute to blog again! It’s nice to get some time for my own brain for a change.


I said that I wanted to talk about some of those amazing questions that God used in the Bible to teach us some amazing lessons. The first one I would like to address is found in the story of Abraham and Sarah. God made an awesome promise to Abraham, saying that he would be the father of many nations. God said that Abraham’s wife, Sarah, would have a son. Well, when God was having this private conversation with Abraham, Sarah, as wives have a tendency to do at least in my experience, was being a bit nosy. She was eavesdropping on the whole conversation. (Don’t get me wrong. I don’t mind my wife being nosy. I wouldn’t remember anything or get anything done if she wasn’t. Something tells me Abraham wasn’t much different from me in that regard. My wife calls it “Male-itus”.) Naturally, when people start talking about you, you want to hear what they have to say. And this wasn’t just “people” this was GOD, Himself, talking to her husband about her. Can’t you just see Sarah, crouched outside the tent, her ear hovering at the tent-flap opening? The Bible says that Abe and Sarah were very old and “well advanced in age”. How long had they been married? How much had they gone through together? Anything that concerned and affected her husband affected and concerned her. So, she listened.

“He thinks I’m going to have a baby? Ha. That’s a good one!” Sarah, close enough to overhear God speak but far enough away to think that He couldn’t hear her, began to laugh at the absurdity of the idea.

Genesis 18:13-14


And the LORD said to Abraham, "Why did Sarah laugh, saying, 'Shall I surely bear [a child], since I am old?' 14) Is anything too hard for the LORD? At the appointed time I will return to you, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son."

With a quick question, God exposed Sarah’s lack of faith and reminded her of exactly who she was dealing with. Sarah endured a lesson I believe God is anxious for us ALL to learn.

How many times has God spoken a promise to us? How many times has He placed a hope or planted a dream inside of us? And how many times have we looked at the absurdity of that calling, of that idea, and laughed at it? “Yeah, right! Like I could ever do that! Please!”

But God is thinking, “Why are you laughing at my plans for you? Is anything too hard for me?” I think we would be amazed at what God wants for us and what He could do through us IF we could just open our tiny minds and believe.

So, the next time some awesome thing comes to mind, some vision of greatness that you could achieve for the Kingdom of God, don’t laugh to yourself and push the thought away. Ask yourself, “Is anything too hard for the Lord?” Don’t underestimate what God can do through you. Remember Sarah, step into your destiny, and enjoy your promise.

1 comment: